Deep Cycle Batteries
When it comes to deep cycle batteries, there are three main categories which you can use to compare them: cycle life, build life and warranty.
Our deep cycle batteries have superior deep cycle construction which results in them being rated to 1650 cycles at 30% discharge. Cyclic life is the number one factor to consider when purchasing a deep cycle battery. Many inferior batteries are only rated to 850 cycles and will therefore only last half the time compared to a quality, well-made battery. If you are going to try to use standard batteries for cyclic applications, the fact is, they are not going to last. As a rule of thumb, expect about half the life of their superior deep cycle model cousins.
Build life is the next consideration when buying a deep cycle battery. All batteries are scientifically tested to work out their build life and this is a good indicator as to battery quality. Lower quality lead and lead dioxide plates result in a greatly reduced build life of a battery. Many deep cycle batteries in the market today are rated to an 8 year build life, but the higher quality batteries are rated up to 12 year build life. Our Giant Power AGM deep cycle batteries have this 12 year build life rating.
You want peace of mind when purchasing a deep cycle battery and having a solid warranty not only serves to give you this. but also can be used as another factor in determining the quality of the battery you are buying. If you know your product won’t last or isn’t well built, you’re not going to have a long warranty on them. We know our deep cycle batteries have a fantastic quality which is why we confidently offer our 5 year pro-rata warranty.
AGM deep cycle batteries have several advantages over both gelled and flooded batteries whilst being about the same cost as gelled batteries:
- Deep cycle batteries are much safer than wet batteries (due the hydrogen gas recombination during charging)
- Deep cycle batteries do not require water
- Deep cycle batteries have a lower self-discharge rate (typically 1%-2% per month)
- Deep cycle batteries have a longer service life (approx. 2-3 times life expectancy of Flooded lead acid)
- Deep cycle batteries have a higher resistance to vibration
- Deep cycle batteries have a lower deep discharge failure
- Deep cycle batteries are more forgiving when accidentally overcharged
- Deep cycle batteries have a higher bulk charge acceptance rate (which means up to a 15% shorter recharge time and reduced cost than Flooded lead acid)
- Deep cycle batteries do not require special hazardous shipping
- Deep cycle batteries can be used in saltwater applications
- Deep cycle batteries are spill proof and can be mounted in virtually any position (because they are sealed)
- Deep cycle batteries can be used inside an enclosed area, like the passenger compartment or caravan
- Deep cycle batteries have greater terminal corrosion resistance